CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 15, 2010

A Brother Like That

One night before Christmas, we were reading a Christmas story with the family. I was very touched by this story as the narrator told of his friend, Paul, who had received a new car from his brother as a pre-Christmas present:

On Christmas Eve, as Paul was leaving his office, a street urchin was walking around the shiny new car, admiring it.
"Is this your car mister?" he asked.
Paul nodded. "My brother gave it to me for Christmas."
The boy looked astounded. "You mean your brother gave it to you, and it didn't cost you anything? Gosh, I wish..."
He hesitated, and Paul knew what he was going to wish. He was going to wish he had a brother like that. But what the lad said jarred Paul all the way down to his heels.
"I wish," the boy went on, "that I could be a brother like that."

Indeed I have felt that very way on many occasions. As I reflect on all the people who have touched my life by their selflessness to me and my family, some even anonymously, I truly feel as this young boy did...I wish I could be, and I hope I can be, and I am trying to be:

a friend like that.
a wife like that.
a leader like that.
a mother like that.
a Secret Santa like that.
an aunt like that.
a daughter like that.
a neighbor like that.
a sister like that.
a blogger like that.
a visiting teacher like that.
a stranger like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really touched my heart. I know you have been a friend like to me. Thank you so much Bonnie! I too wish and hope that I have been and can be a friend and wife and mother and teacher.... like that.

Here at home said...

Oh, but you are! All of that. The best ever.
I have always loved that story and remember it when I wish I could do something for others but am not in a position to do so.